Saturday, July 26, 2008

Our Wiener Dog has an Eating Disorder


Warning:  This is a ridiculously long post.  If you don't read it,  I don't blame you.  However, I know there are a few of you out there that may appreciate this story.

We own two dogs.  Hank, a one-year-old Australian shepherd and Maddie, a 6-month-old mini wiener dog.   Hank is brilliant.  Maddie is either completely stupid or close to it.   Somehow the two get along really well.  

We often babysit a third dog named Divot.  Divot is the son dog of my in-laws, John and Melissa.  He is a 6-month-old blue healer/Aussie mix.  Divot's personality is a great mix between brilliance (Hank) and stupidity (Maddie).  Actually, we don't really think Divot is stupid, he is just fearless.   For instance, a few weeks ago Divot leaped out of John's golf cart and got ran over.  It was a bloody mess, but he survived and returned quickly back to work at the golf course.   A week or so after this accident, Divot threw caution to the wind once again as he leaped out the front of the golf cart.   John quickly slammed on his breaks as Divot skidded face down across the cart path.

So here's the most recent story.   Last night, Ty and I went to pick Divot up at John and Melissa's to watch him for the weekend.  Unassumingly, we left our two idiots at home in the backyard.  When we returned home we found that they had somehow gotten into the closet with all the dog food and emptied the bags throughout the backyard.   Hank (the smart dog) practiced self-control and simply ate his fill of food and left the rest for another time.  Maddie (the idiot) was still gorging herself when we returned home 4 hours later. 

(I know its a little redneck to have a kiddie pool in your backyard.  Let me explain.  When I was pregnant, I would layout in it because it was too indecent to go to a public pool... No one wanted to see that. But then it became the dog's chew toy.  I don't use it anymore in case you're wondering.)

Back to the story.  Maddie was huge.  I've never seen such a fat wiener dog.  

There's a little back-story here you must know to fully understand what we're dealing with.   Maddie, like most dogs, has a crate that we've been using to potty train her.  Maddie (stupid dog) having no self-respect for her bed like Hank (Smart Dog) or Divot (Pretty Smart and Fearless Dog), uses her crate as a restroom often.  

Crate training has not worked for Maddie.  But she still has to sleep in her crate because we don't want her pooping in the house.  So looking on the bright side of this, at least she's keeping it in one location... I guess.  

So what do you do when your mini wiener dog is engorged?  I mean huge!!!!  We couldn't leave her outside.  She'd only eat more.  So we stuck her in her crate and waited until morning.  

Lucky for Ty, he left for work at 4:30am.  At 4:45 I went to put Landon back in his crib and gagged as I walked by the crate.  Mind you, the crate was covered with a heavy blanket to block the smell.  I had a terrible situation on my hands.

I just went back to bed.  

Ty is bringing home a huge shovel from work.  We'll need this for the food in the backyard and the mess she left in her crate.

So far all I've done to resolve the situation is take some pictures, lock Maddie in the yard behind our backyard to keep her from overeating, and let Divot and Hank out to play.   We'll deal with this situation more fully when Ty gets home.   


Hank and Divot enjoying their morning.  Maddie is locked out behind that gate to the right!

Wow!  Okay, we have a new development in the story.  Maddie just started flipping out so I went to the back to see what was wrong.   A huge coyote hopped out of the backyard, walked along the fenced and jumped down and out of our yard!!!  I've never seen this happen here.  I knew we had coyotes all over this town, but I just haven't seen them in our yard.  


So I moved her into our backyard, hoping she'd be too full to eat...  the picture below proves me wrong.  

 Maddie in her fully glory.


Maddie (the idiot) is lucky to be alive.  She almost ate herself to death and almost got eaten  by a coyote all within 12 hours!  

Maddie is now back her crate, stewing in the consequences of her gluttony.  


7 comments:

Kara Graves said...

you are such a great story teller! Sorry you had such a stressfull experience, but I sure got a few giggles out of it. I hope Maddie is feeling (and eating) better now.

The Chilton Family said...

Darren and I are laughing uncontrollably right now! We feel your pain! We can completely relate to Maddie(stupid dog) thanks to our Buster(most stupid dog on the planet)! :)

Sean Stockman said...

Great story, Shushy! Hope you put Ty to work cleaning up the mess pronto! Send Maddie Emerson's love... she asks about her all the time and if she can hold her next time we're out! ha!! Love you... all of you... even the dogs...

tess

Anonymous said...

Awww, now you know I have a huge soft spot for Miss Maddie. The poor thing. Hopefully (maybe) she learned her lesson. But probably not, considering who her Daddy is!

Ash, Kel n Ella said...

I haven't read the story yet but the title alone kills me:) I forgot you guys are the proud parents of a WIENER DOG! I hope Hank is doing well with the addition of a wiener dog and a baby:) I guess I'll read now!

-Kelly

Julie said...

your dogs are hilarious!! we had so much fun just watching them go crazy, lol:)

burgess said...

Oh my goodness...I was laughing out loud at this story! Partly because I have a dog that does stupid stuff and can relate, and partly because of you feeling the need to explain yourself with the baby pool! I have one, and I'm not ashamed! :)